Monday 31 March 2014

The computer screen: hand rendered in a digital era

31/03/2014

Blog entry 69:

Being as I am thinking about what aspects of my practice I intend to look into in much more detail next semester, such as style of application of paint (blog entry 69), I have also decided that due to my ambition to present my work in a number of ways as both fine art or exhibited and illustration, I feel that next semester I need to explore more deeply the issues involved with hand rendered media when using the computer. I have already noted in my samples book that I am able to make work for publication or advertisement as illustration, look more professional by using photoshop to remove mistake smudges and changing other properties, but I have not considered all the connotations into how I intend to present my work.

I have started looking into hand rendered media in a digital world by considering the computer screen. The computer screen is almost universally a rectangular shape, which can draw into issue how imagery can be represented. I have envisaged a simplistic idea of using a template boarder which would be changeable in both shape and colour to fit the needs of an image. The colour would be the closest possible match to the boarder around the computer screen (in the case of the photographs below black) in order to create an extension of the screen boarder and make it  appear as if a different shape.

 I have considered the texts we have been studying in Visual Culture: Debates, by Glyn Davis who speaks of the digital age, which I intend to revisit next semester.












































The idea is to allow the screen boarder to blend in to the extension template, to make the screen look as if it is hexagonal in shape. Unfortunately this first attempt has not been particularly successful, however I intend to look at issues such as this in far more detail next semester.

Next semester I intend to look into how m hand rendered work can have a place on the computer, as it is a resource that I personally needs to be embraced to the best of my ability in order to be successful when running my own business.

No comments:

Post a Comment