Wednesday 12 March 2014

Mixed Media, Paint and My Practice

12/03/2014

Blog entry 64:

As a practitioner, I describe myself as a Painter, but I have found that I enjoy using many different materials, so whilst I have time to experiment this semester I am going to list which materials I enjoy using and how they might be combined with each other:
Please note all imagery in this blog entry is my own

Paint:
  • Acrylic - Acrylic paint was the first paint I used to develop my personal voice in my second year at university. I found that painting with acrylics very difficult, which for me made it more enthralling as a medium to use

The Beautiful Congo Woman
Acrylic on Acrylic paper (for project Heart of Darkness
by Joseph Conrad Third Year First Semester)



























  • Oil - As aforementioned in blog entry 51 (and others), I had never tried oil paint before but found it to be my new favourite medium to work with, although I have been worried about drying time and how this might affect how I present my work.
Man Praying in the Dark
Oil on Primed Canvass (first attempt at oil painting first semester Mdes)


























  • Watercolour - I find that using watercolour allows me to get very small accurate marks that the aforementioned paints cannot.

Angry Birds 6th Birthday Present Watercolour on mount board




















  • Reduction ink - Reduction in although similar to watercolour can create a very different feel to an image. Unlike watercolour, which I can control how wet I am using the paint, ink is already in liquid form, which can make it harder to control.

Although I do use other processes, I do not want to loose sight of my identity as a painter and intend to ensure that most work I do has some kind of painted quality, as this is my personal practice.



Drawing:


  • Biro/ Ball Point Pen - I very much enjoy using biro due to the multitude of marks and thickness of mark that can be accomplished
Biro on Printer Paper
(from project Time - Blink and You'll Miss It First Semester of Second Year)




























Printmaking:


  • Intaglio (Reduction Ink) Collograph - This method of Printmaking gives me a very different result than what I am used to with expressive and painted processes, I feel that this method combined with others would feel much more like my style.
The Book Man's Aureola Raw Umber Etching Ink
 Collograph on Cartridge Paper
(First Semester of Mdes)






















  • Intaglio (Reduction Ink) Drypoint - I find drypoint to give a similar result to drawing in biro, however, this print process allows the imagery to have a more painted feel, and an array of etching inks allow a much larger colour selection to choose from.
Damnation Burnt Umber Etching Ink  Drypoint
on Seawhite 300gsm paper
(First Semester of Mdes)
























  • Emulsion Print - Emulsion printing allows me to basically print an image on any surface (within reason), this process is often imperfect as parts of the image inevitably rub away, this is interesting because it can make an image look different due to loss of some details, or look worn/ old. As I have Listed in my Samples Book, Emulsion Printing can not only be done with printed out imager, but with biro too. 

  • Monoprint - Although I have no visual examples of my mono printing experience, I am very familiar with a number of methods of mono printing, which I intend to explain in a later blog entry along with examples of this process that I have created.



Combinations I have already tried:


  • Biro over acrylic - This process is difficult due to the texture of many acrylic friendly surfaces being textured, which means that the pen lines are not as crisp as they could be, so if I am going to use this combination, I can paintings in and use biro on the printouts. The result is interesting and I am fond of the contrast in marks.
Hanging Feet Biro (Ball Point Pen) on Printout
of Scanned Acrylic on Acrylic Paper
(For Project Fading Clarity First Semester of Second Year)
























  • Watercolour and Acrylic - As I have mentioned watercolour allows me to make small details which are more difficult to achieve with thicker paints. This combination of acrylic and watercolour paint allows me the best of both worlds. I paint most of the composition or closer, more detailed areas in acrylic and paint the smaller more intricate details over the dried acrylic.

The Boiler Room Acrylic and Watercolour on Acrylic Paper
(For Project Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
First Semester of Third Year)





























  • Reduction Ink and Biro - This process is interesting due to the contrast in the way in which tone is built up through the two mediums: reduction ink builds up tone subtly through gradually diluting the ink with water, and biro is built up by adding more or less directional lines and cross hatching.
My Inky Pony Reduction Ink and Brio (Ball Point Pen)
on Watercolour Paper (Personal Work)





























Although I have combined a number of these processes in the past, I feel there is a much more to experiment with, so I intend to list possible combinations of the above processes that I can give an educated guess that they will work and processes I have not tried, and sample them in my Samples Book.


  • drypoint over collograph
  • drypoint over acrylic
  • oil paint onto collograph plate printed through press
  • oil paint mono print
  • biro mono print
  • Watercolour emulsion printed

Now that I have explored different materials that I enjoy working with I feel much better in defining my practice as Paint/ Mixed media, and intend to work on finding a number of ways to sombine them, and where/ how I might use them for different commissions/ work.

No comments:

Post a Comment