Saturday 18 January 2014

Consideration of my practice and examining past work


08/01/2014



Blog Entry 3:




 
Now that I have begun to establish areas of the initial ideas and consideration of project theme, I feel that I should also look back at past work and examine my portfolio in depth and consider how I intend to establish more clearly my personal voice/ style. This entry will include annotated imagery done by myself (see blog entry 3), which before my masters degree, where I intend to improve my practice, is established as a rough portfolio.

My current portfolio/ best work from second and third year (oldest to newest work):

“Blink and you’ll miss it” (Second year first semester)
























Overview of the project:

The above selection has been taken from sequential illustration project “Time”: I created the feel of time by creating a setting (using different view points) where events occur due to the changes in time. There is one constant feature throughout the book, an area of a character’s face which has been used as a flipbook device to blink when the pages are “flipped”, suggesting if the viewer is to flip the book to see he character blink they will miss everything else that is happening on each page, thus suggesting the book can be viewed quickly or slowly, incorporating time. The imagery is created using pencil and biro on expressive washed backgrounds.

Aspects I intend to take from this project to strengthen my work on Mdes:

I feel that this project allowed me to look at viewpoint effectively and challenge how can portray an image in an interesting way, I feel that viewpoint is something I have not challenged as much throughout my work post the time project and that the settings in The Library of babel and other projects I shall undertake would benefit from looking more deeply into viewpoint.

The use of biro as media for my illustration may also be something to consider due to it being a controlled and precise tool to create imagery with.


“Fading Clarity” (second year first semester)























 Overview of the project:

This project was also part of the sequential illustration module, to create a sequence of imagery based on a short sentence as a starting point. For me this project allowed me to explore media and materials and to discover more solidly my personal voice through acrylic paint. Imagery created with acrylic paint and biro on expressive wash backgrounds.

 Aspects I intend to take from this project to strengthen my work on Mdes:

Although I have gone on to strengthen my painting style since the realisation that I intended to use it, I feel that it is necessary to refer back to this work and understand, what aspects were originally successful and to strive not to loose this. I feel that of recent I have tried hard to create each character, no matter how small as a full detailed entity and have perhaps forgotten the strength that can be acquired visually from suggesting certain aspects of a character or object more expressively.


Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (second year second semester)
































Overview of project:

The aim of this project was to create a series of illustrations based on any chosen passages of the 1932 novel Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. This project shaped my third year project for the negotiated studies in illustration module, choosing adult publishing allowed me to understand better my target audience and how my illustration work was better suited to adult publishing due to its dark and often suggestive nature. Imagery created using acrylic and biro on acrylic paper.

Extra reading about the storyline of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley:

(Pearce, 2008)

Aspects I intend to take from this project to strengthen my work on Mdes:

During this projects, not only did I develop my painted style, but I learnt how to draw contrast between characters and background through use of media: I used linear pencil backgrounds to contrast with the solid expressive painted characters, I feel that this semester I would like to develop this aspect and understand better how to make my background and characters contrast, but at the same time feel whole due to my finding that in this project the backgrounds were often too pale or simple to fully put the characters in context. I feel that I would also like to look at the use of combining the biro and paint media in a more sophisticated manor this semester, as it is a rather unique process.


Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (first semester of third year)


































Overview of the project:

This project, much like the prior was to create a series of illustrations in response to chosen passages from adult publishing. This set of illustrations are based on the short story (1899) Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Throughout this project, I have explored the use of colour and tonal acrylic and watercolour paint to create dark imagery, which portrays the atmosphere of the story.

Extra reading on the synopsis for the short story Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad:

(Gradesaver, 2014)

Aspects I intend to take from this project to strengthen my work on Mdes:

Now that I have established I can work in colour and tonal paint effectively, I intend to use this more accomplished way of working to aid my future practice. I also feel that this project was a turning point in creating foreground and background and suggesting more of a story in each image.

Now that I have established the aspects of past work that I wish to strengthen and develop from past projects, I feel I am at a better standpoint to work on this new project effectively.

Please note all work on this blog entry is my own and is full property of myself, Helen – Marie Kelly rights included.

No comments:

Post a Comment