Wednesday 29 January 2014

Influences and inspiration V: Derby Museum and situ

29/01/2014

Blog entry 20:

Now that I have established that I am a fine art illustrator, I felt it appropriate to look into gallery spaces and display for artwork and installation, so I visited Derby Museum. The purpose of this outing was to consider how artwork is exhibited and how I might intend mine to be displayed. All photographs are taken in the museum with permission from the staff by myself unless referenced otherwise.


Images on the side of the building: 



























When considering context of my illustrations, I quite enjoy this use of a set of large scale imagery on windows or the side of buildings. I am fond of creating artwork in a set, all with a similar theme and style. The set of work photographed above reminds me of a photographic contact sheet, with imagery which has been scaled to fit within the window frames.

The other aspect of this set of work which I find appealing is the colour palette - shades of white and light remind me of suggesting purity or the divine. I find painting very light images rather difficult and feel that I should work to do more light coloured or shaded imagery.


Portraiture:
The refugee by Ernest Townsend, oil on canvas (poor quality photograph)

The refugee by Ernest Townsend, oil on canvas

Multi modality with exhibited portrait

The refugee by Ernest Townsend, oil on canvas (Derby Museum, 2014)



When perusing the portraits in the museum, this one in particular piques my interest, mainly down to the brush strokes on the lower lip of the subject, I often struggle to create a realistic texture for lips in my own work, so looking at how another painter has done it well is very influential to me. Out of all of the portraits on display, this painting had the most expressive paint strokes, which I enjoy seeing in paintings.


Pottery and statuesque sculpture (Cherubs):



































One of my personal favourite visual forms is the Cherub or Cherubim, and to find pottery based on this form, to me is very exciting and influential. I find that this form is often found in religious imagery to suggest the divine or heavenly presence. I shall do a separate future blog entry on the cherub form and were it occurs in art. I have already depicted the cherub form in a couple of my illustrations so far and intend to do more based around this.

When listening to the Mdes tutors, I found that they often say that as a masters student should be obsessed with our study and I find that I am hugely obsessed with the cherubim forms and my 'gut' instinct is to take this interest further.



Displaying artwork:




This particular gallery set up interested me due to the use of the perspex front screen over the shelf on which the piece is placed, being placed at an angle to suit the 'quirky' style of pottery. Every detail of the gallery space has been considered to suit the artwork - as I intend to exhibit my work I need to consider the multi modality of an exhibited piece of artwork.

I feel that this museum trip has helped me to understand better how artwork can be exhibited and how I might like to exhibit my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment