Monday 27 January 2014

Influences and inspiration II: Sam Webber

27/01/2014

Blog entry 16:


Today in Personal Practice & Methodologies, the class have been asked to consider practitioners deeply as to what is specifically influential about them and what has influenced them to work in this way. As I have already made a start with looking at practitioners' work that is influential to myself (see blog entry 5) I feel I need to look more deeply into how these artists work and why this influences me. Over the next few blog entries I will consider a number of artistic influences in depth and why these are essential to consider for my personal development as a fine art illustrator. 


As I have already created some imagery focussing predominantly on the figure and experimented partially with a 'tea stain' colour palette, I feel it is necessary to look at another practitioner that deals with these elements, namely Sam Webber.

I first caught a glimpse of Webber's work when submitting my own illustrations for the Folio Society and House of Illustration 2014 competition to create a set of 3 illustrations and a front cover for the dark novel Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. The image was used as an example in the "How to submit" instructions for the competition.

For more information of the 2014 competition for the Folio Society and House of Illustration, please follow the link below:
http://competitions.houseofillustration.org.uk/book-illustration-competition-2014/ 
(House of Illustration and Folio Society annual book competition, 2014)

Extra reading: The synopsis for Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (follow the link below):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness
(Wikipedia, 2014)

Work by Sam Webber:
Illustration for the Folio Society version of the novel Lord of the flies by  William Golding
2009



























The aspect of this image that most interests me is colour palette: Webber has created a feel for flesh tone, the blonde hair of the character and background by using very similar gold/ yellow/ brown shades, which are complimented by the pink and red darker areas of the lips and shadow on the facial and neck area. The eyes are the darkest area of the image and draw attention acting as the focal area of the portrait illustration. Colour palette is very much the main point of attraction for me, and I intend to look into using similar background and skin tone colour in my own work during this time when I am able to experiment with my media.

No comments:

Post a Comment