Tuesday 28 January 2014

Influences and inspiration IV: The Fountain of the Fallen Angel and A Paradise Lost

28/01/2014

Blog Entry 19:

Although I realise that I should be inspired by practitioners, I feel that more outside thinking is essential to being influenced as a practitioner. Not only have I looked at other artists but I have also looked at certain other sources that I find inspiring.


Fountain of the Fallen Angel by Ricardo Bellver (1877) La Plaza del Angel Caido (Fallen Angel Square) Madrid, Spain:

























The statue (shown in the images above) is a depiction of Lucifer at the time of what is known as the Devil's Discourse; a the time at which the angel Lucifer was cast out of heaven by God into damnation. This is the only public statue of Lucifer in the world. The artist Ricardo Bellver cerated this instillation piece after being inspired by the epic poetical story A Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Extra reading information of the epic poem A Paradise Lost by John Milton (follow the link below):
http://www.paradiselost.org
(New Arts Library, 1999) bib

The idea of creating a fine art piece in response to a piece of writing to me is very interesting, as I would like to illustrate religious poetry such as A Paradise Lost, not only as illustrations in a book (which I would like to do), but also as a fine art response. I feel that imagery can be created for exhibition or installation purpose but still be an illustration - Illustrating using fine art.

Poetry such as A Paradise Lost, also interests me greatly due to the religious and creative content. My partner also writes poetry similar to this in content and I am interested in a collaboration of our work, as I am not only interested in the subject matter but I feel working closely with someone you are illustrating for is a very good way of fully understanding the ideas and creative flow of one another, for example Rold Dahl and Quentin Blake were very close friends and Dahl only ever used him to illustrate his work as he felt that the style of the writing and style of illustration should be ongoing or memorable. I would like to publish a set of poetical anthologies with this attitude so my partner's writing and my illustrations will be linked.

Illustration for Matilda by Rold Dahl by Quentin Blake






















At the moment when considering what I would like to do or what I would have done if I had done my final semester of my Ba (instead of progressing onto my masters). I feel that I would have created a set of illustrations to be placed in a book with epic poetry on which it would be based and use the original large scale paintings as fine art pieces for exhibit. The multi modality of the exhibited work would include phrases or paragraphs from the poetry on which it was based.

As is now apparent I am not only influenced by the statue itself due to it being a beautiful piece of work with religious connotations and dealing with the figure, but I am also interested by what the statue itself is inspired by and how this link has created in my mind a way in which I might like to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment