Wednesday 29 January 2014

The little brown sketchbook of rough obscure ideas

29/01/2014

Blog entry 21:


Due to my being quite systematic about what I put in my main sketchbook, I have decided to use a smaller sketchbook to make rough sketches of ideas quickly to either  build up later or decide I don't like.

All of these rough images are done by myself and are based on The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges (to read the story follow the link below):
  http://www.thecriticalpoint.net/index_files/libraryofbabel.pdf
(Borges, 1944)

Rough ideas so far:

Fashions of the library:

Hexagonal piercings

Hexagonal hoods

Hexagonal cigarette
Women's fashion hair and clothing














































































Hexagonal hair



























I like the idea of my characters having certain traits that portray they are from the hexagonal universe, such as hair, clothing or accessories. I may take this idea futher in my main sketchbook.



Religious symbolism and the "Book Man" (see blog entry 7):

The book Man as an idol (blog entry 7) add on sketch - hexagonal nails in the palms of the idol's hands

The Book Man in the Crimson Hexagon (blog entry 7) add on sketch - books in the crimson hexagon are smaller than natural books








































These sketches are extra ideas surrounding the Book Man images I ave created (blog entry 7). The top image of the two has religious links to the idol of Christ and the bottom one is a similar pose of the hands cupping a book which is clearly very small in scale taken from the story: "The books of the Crimson Hexagon - smaller than natural books, books omnipotent, illustrated and magical." (Borges, 1944).


The day of rest:






































After visiting Derby Library today and realising that it was closed, I spoke to my mother, who informed me that in the past it was traditional for libraries to close on a Wednesday. The idea of a library being closed on Wednesday made me think of Sunday as the Christian and Jewish day of rest - for those who inhabit the library would this be a wednesday? Or would the library / universe merely cease to function on a Wednesday? This is an idea I my choose to develop futher in my main sketchbook, however I am unsure as to how far I could potentially take this.


The Natural Steps of the Library:

A foot on a library step

























After my initial research (mood board) on the library and what might exist within it (blog entry 15), I did this sketch as a quick idea of how the "Spiral staircase" steps in the library may look - Natural hexagonal rocks which have been a part of the library since the dawn of time. I have since moved this idea further somewhat in my main sketchbook (see blog entry 15).

No comments:

Post a Comment