Thursday 23 January 2014

Thinking visually about the story (literal visual ideas) The Narrator of obscurity


23/01/2014

Blog Entry 6:


For the duration next two weeks (commencing 23 January 2014 ending 31 January 2014) for the Personal Practise and Methodologies module the group are required to each create at least one visual response a day (minimum of 15) to The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges as a starting point for our projects.

In the following blog entries I intend to explore visual communication possibilities for the short story The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges, when taken quite literally. I shall include sketches and illustrations with notation on sections of the story; this may also include quotation and photographic reference where necessary. All artwork posted on this blog is my own, unless referenced as otherwise, and is not to be used by others without my permission.  

Extra reading The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges, all imagery this blog entry contains is based on the narrator of this short story (follow the link below):
 

I feel it only appropriate to begin my visual journey by depicting how I perceive the main character, the narrator to look.

The Narrator Portrait (by myself) watercolour, poster paint and acrylic on cartridge paper

























This is a simple portrait of how I personally imagine the Narrator to look. As is apparent from the imagery I have been inspired by Ancient Greek God like figures and wise old characters depicted in illustration and television, both ideals I will explore in more detail at a later date. The Narrator character wears a ring containing a hexagonal jewel, to portray his immersion i this hexagonal universe. To create this image I have made slight reference to Borges himself (see below) and how he looks facially using particular characteristics such as eye lids and facial lines. I have done this because, as mentioned in blog entry 2 Borges seemed to empathise and understand the Narrators position and I imagine them to be rather alike. To create different textures I have painted all skin in watercolour and the hair in thicker acrylic and poster paint.


 Photograph Jorge Luis Borges, by El Raulo                                                     










 














               The Narrator in situ/ context (by myself) watercolour on cartridge paper
This image, similarly to my portrait of the Narrator, depicts him as a contemplative, wise character. I have depicted here the context in which I imagine my character is whilst narrating the short story. I imagine the Narrator to be sat at a large desk surrounded by books. I have used the hexagonal theme again here subtly, note the ink bottle on the table along with the Narrator's ring. In this representation I have used colour watercolour for the Narrator's skin and lips, yet all other objects or aspects are in tone: I enjoy working with subtle areas of colour with tone and consider many of my paintings to be tonal colour, I particularly enjoy painting the skin in colour due to the subtleness in which it can be suggested. I have depicted the narrator in his environment alone, due to the story suggesting that the narrator physically and emotionally feels very outcast or alone.


The Narrator Profile (by myself) acrylic and watercolour on acrylic paper


 This image is simply another point of view at which my audience can see the Narrator, to give an insight into my perception of the Narrator. Working on acrylic paper is my preferred medium as it is suited for purpose and does not warp the imagery, I feel more able to use thicker layers of acrylic paint, which I often use. I have left most areas of the background in simple watercolour outline with a thin wash to suggest the dull atmosphere of the hexagonal rooms which is outlined in the story. I have depicted the Narrator as left handed because I imagine him as an eccentric genius type like da Vinci (more about da Vinci in blog entry 5), it was often found that creative scientific famous people such as Galileo and da Vinci were left handed meaning they were more likely to use the right side of their brain.

Extra reading on the different sides of the human brain in relation to the dominant hand follow the link below:
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/split.html
(Chudler, 1996 - 2011)


   The Hand of the Narrator (by myself) biro on cartrige paper                                              



This image is a quick sketch in biro, intended to leave rather more to the viewer's imagination about the Narrator, enabling them to perceive the Narrator as they wish with a subtle guide of his hands showing his age. Often in illustration, it is essential not to tell the viewer everything about what they are reading as the writer often intends for the reader to interpret and perceive their own personal version of the story. Again the quill is in the Narrator's left hand following my own artistic licence and my characterisation.

As is apparent from the images' captions, I have created each image in slightly different media, I have used the range of media I am most accomplished with as an illustrator and am using different combinations of these medias to find out which combination I intend to use to create finalised imagery for this project. As I am to create a quantity of visual responses I feel it necessary to carry out this kind of experimentation whilst at this stage.

Now that I have looked into portraying my representation of the Narrator and characterisation, (an integral part of the story for me as an illustrator as I enjoy illustrating the human figure) I intend to look closer into creating my own interpretation of the Library and setting of the story, this will be evident in my next blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment