Wednesday 4 February 2015

Semester III: Chevening

03/02/2015


Blog Entry 10:

After the presentation outlined in blog entry 6 I approached the archive curator, Jane and asked her more about specifically embroidery. Jane told me that there was very little to speak of at John Smedley, however she did mention a process known as chevening. Chevening is a form of embroidery, which was often done on male stockings as very small intricate designs. As I am studying gender for my project, I find it very interesting that every detail of the male clothing (especially between WWI andWWII) was designed with the most avid intricacy, even the stocking or sock, which would not usually be seen or closely examined, had chevening embroidery. Jane went on to inform me that chevening for Smedleys was sourced to outworkers, who unlike the knitters were always female.

Examples of Chevening:

Black woollen socks made for male children with chevening on the sloe of the foot

Hand embroidery, chevening (1860 -1960)

















































No comments:

Post a Comment