Wednesday 4 February 2015

Semester III: Raymond Bridden Lace Maker

03/02/2015


Blog Entry 9:

Although I am unfortunately unable to find any imagery on Bridden's lace making, during the presentation detailed in blog entry 6, The archive curator Jane supplied examples of Bridden's work. Bridden was a lace maker for Smedley who used Jacquard machines to create delicate lace designs often involving nature. The examples provided at the presentation were intricately formed sycamore leaves. The way that the imagery made up an important part of the lace itself lead me to take into consideration how imagery and fabric can be combined in different ways. Last semester I mainly used calico on which to create my images, but now I am questioning wether my first choice in fabric is the best choice.

Example of jacquard machined lace

















Moving forward with this in mind, I intend to consider different fabrics when embroidering, and find out how I can use free machine embroidery in different ways to create interesting imagery which best suits certain purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment