Wednesday 4 February 2015

Semester III: Foot Pedals, Tattooists and Learning from unexpected sources

03/02/2015


Blog Entry 7:

When embroidering for a long period of time, I have noticed that I have to take more time to stop in order to avoid getting cramp in my right leg as a result of the sewing machine pedal usage. This might only seem like a minor technicality, but I am aware of the time frame in which I need to work to get results fast this semester, so it is a serious issue in my mind.

incidentally I was talking about the pedal problem to my tattooist, Jack and he told me that tattooists often had the same problem, due to the way that the tattoo machines involve using a foot pedal in a similar way to the sewing machine. Jack suggested that I use my heel rather than the ball of my foot to avoid cramping. This technique works very well, and has saved me time when embroidering.

This small encounter has reminded me that sootiness to solve technical or visual issues with my work, it may be necessary to look in unexpected places for answers, as outside influences can be very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment