Wednesday 4 February 2015

Semester III: Garments and Suggesting the Body Without Drawing

30/01/2015


Blog Entry 5:

I have now completed my Fig.1 Mock 8 garment, a dress that has been embroidered with images of the hands in certain positions on the garment in order to suggest that the images of the hand are in tandem with the body. The dress is also a tool which is desired to suggest femininity due to pre-existing connotations surrounding it (see blog entry 2). The covering position is supposed to create the idea that the hands can provide modesty and suggest that the dress is simply an extension of this hand position.

Whilst creating this sample to ensure that embroidering a panel of a garment before it is stitched together would provide an easier solution to embroidering a ready made garment and to ensure that copyright would not be an issue, which it could possibly be if the garment had been made by someone else; I also decided to try combining two forms of stitch in relief, which I had created samples for on page 45 of my sketchbook 1. The two forms of stitch in relief has previously been done separately, however I wanted to understand if they could work together and thought that being as I was making this garment to clear up other issues, I would embroider the front panel in this way.

Now that I am coming to the end of my masters course I have decided to take more initiative in areas of my practice and not to fear finding out where I am able to work. I decided to ask the owner of Brigdens Menswear Ltd. if I could utilise his photographic studio and camera for my project to which he agreed. I found a model and photographed the Fig.1 Mock 8 garment in a better environment than I would usually be able.

Photoshopped final photographs from the Brigdens studio shoot:









































Although my garment is far from perfect, it does the desired job of creating a surface on which to embroider that suggests that the embroidered imagery is in tandem with the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment