Saturday 3 January 2015

Semester II: Clothing adorned with the human hand

04/12/2014


Blog entry 19:

This Christmas I made the decision to embroider my own clothes as gifts for my friends and family. I found that the embroidery I did was very successful and thought it a shame not to at least consider how I could incorporate this into my project, especially as I intend this embroidery to be a large part of my business when I leave university.

I began to consider how if the hand was to appear on clothing in certain areas what could it possibly represent? I sketched a few designs in my sketchbook, showing how if the hands were embroidered on the shoulders of a piece of clothing they might convey to an audience the idea of placing ones hands on the shoulders to calm a person or to convey the action of forcing someone to sit down.

My other quick design was based on the idea of showing age or class through having a hand tugging the hem of an item of clothing, like a child would to an adult, or how someone might beg.

I feel that although these designs would not incorporate paint, I should work at least one of them up in order to understand the possibility it might hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment