Saturday 3 January 2015

Semester II: Concept panel

16/12/2014


Blog entry 21:

At my concept panel I began to explain my project as follows:

My project is about images of the human hand acting as a semiotic or suggestive comment on the human condition. The project is broken down into several interlinked areas to ensure clarity of methodology. The Project focuses on researching a wide range of material with the goal of finding successful ways of conveying the hands potential to convey complex meanings to an audience. Whilst using research to create visuals with a combination of paint and stitch, in order to find the most successful way of working; I have also been exploring how human concepts such as thought and emotion can be conveyed through visually representing the hand in illustration. This is being done in several ways including finding abstracts from fictional texts to create compositions which feature the hands of characters in positions which are intended to convey the mood of the scene or emotion of a particular character; these texts mainly consist of adult publishing.  


This study explores the human hand in art as a signifier of the ‘human condition’. The dissertation argues that the hand is a significant factor in understanding what sets apart the human being from the rest of the animal kingdom. Imagery portraying the human hand is considered and subjected it to analysis. Scientific research is used in tandem with certain theories to provide support to the argument.  The research revealed that images of the hand are commonplace, and can hold complex and sophisticated commentaries on the human condition in a variety of ways.


After receiving feedback I realised that I needed to make a decision on what part of my vast topic, I intend to take further into next semester. I decided that I preferred the stories of the human hand, so I have decided that this is the topic I will now base my realisation project on.

No comments:

Post a Comment