Monday 26 January 2015

Semester III: The dress

21/01/2015


Blog Entry 2 (Semester 3, Realisation):

In my last blog I expressed concern about the hand being used in imagery in tandem with the body, and how I could possibly ensure that the hand retains focus. I decided to revisit methods I has used during Concept to overcome this issue and refine one of these attempts somewhat. I am still not satisfied with the sample I have done so far, and have thought of a possible better solution, which involves possibly being slightly more drastic.

I decided to also revisit a sample which I had done late on in the Concept module, which was to place my embroidery in tandem with the body without actually depicting the body, by putting the embroidered image on a garment. By putting imagery on a garment it is possible to ensure that the image of the hand is in tandem with part of the body as it will actually be worn on the body.

The dress has connotations, which attach this garment especially to the female, especially since the 19th century the dress has been considered feminine. Moving Toward Modesty argues that the dress of the 19th century was uncomfortable and impractical for the human body (Moving Toward Modesty, 2009). It is arguable that people still go to extreme lengths to make themselves appealing in present day, this notion could possibly be a strong theme for my imagery on garments.


No comments:

Post a Comment