Saturday 3 January 2015

Semester II: the hand in illustration not working as well to signify

08/11/2014


Blog entry 14:

To try out my idea of using the hand as a signifier in illustration I have created a number of line drawings based on abstracts or paragraphs from fictional stories. I have attempted to use the hand as signifiers to certain aspects of the text, for example I have used the hand to signify fear through the way in which the young child in the book World Without End by Ken Follett, grips the bed cover tightly in her hands. I have then worked this design up into a stitch and paint sample where I have signified the tight grip by puckering the fabric with hand stitch (Page 36 - 38 in main sketchbook).

I found that these samples did not work as well as I had hoped, due to the composition distracting from the hand, I intend to speak about this in my next tutorial.



























The issue with the design shown above was that the gaze is initially drawn to the character's eyes, which an audience could assume will tell them more than the hands, how can I overcome this issue?

No comments:

Post a Comment