Monday 26 January 2015

Semester III: Beginning of Realisation

19/01/2015


Blog Entry 1 (Semester 3, Realisation):

Now I am embarking on my 60 credit module, I feel that it is important to revisit areas of last semester during the Concept module in order to make a solid start. At the end of last semester during the Concept module, I did come to some conclusion about certain aspects of my practice. Last semester gave me the freedom to experiment and research my project theme as a wide subject with the intention of finding the best way to convey the idea of imagery of the hand commenting on the human condition, now however in order for this project to be successful I need to use the research I have already done to narrow down my original concept. I feel that because my dissertation aimed to be with my Concept project, it would also be good practice at this very early stage of my Realisation module to revisit it.

By the end of the semester In had narrowed down the subject of the hand into a few ideas, which I thought might best communicate my original idea. After handing in however I was able to fully reflect on the semester as a whole and realise that the concepts discussed and researched in my dissertation, especially how images of the hand have the power to convey gender as a complex social commentary, could be a stronger basis on which to build my project.

As the idea that pose or gesture of the hand can convey gender, especially femininity is most interesting to me, I feel that beginning my project with this as a starting point is most suitable. I intend to also look at how images of the human hand can create a stronger of different commentary in tandem with areas of the body, for example covering the face is more suggestive when the face is suggested than simply the hands being in the same position without the body part to work in tandem with. A concern I have currently is that when the hand is presented in tandem with the body, the hand can become encompassed by the rest of the composition and loose focus, this is a problem I will need to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment