Saturday 3 January 2015

Semester II: Myths about the Human Hand

03/11/2014


Blog entry 11:

Due to ill health I have been away from study for three weeks, although this could be possibly problematic, I have been able to take much into consideration. I am aware that I need to firm up my ideas in order to have a clear idea of what I want to do next semester.

I have been researching more on the human hand in my research book and have been building up ideas I feel have potential as visual experiments in my main sketchbook. An interesting idea I have come across whilst conducting my project is a certain myth about the human hand. This myth is that the wedding ring finger or left ring finger contains a major blood vessel which leads directly to the heart. I find it interesting that we as humans place so much importance on the hand, that we feel the need to attach such stories to it. In this case the story is heavily involved with the concept of love and the heart as a signifier to love, it is interesting that the symbol of the wedding ring in the context of the ring finger has provoked people to strengthen the ideal that the heart is associated with love. Through marriage and the placing of the ring on the left ring finger, the myth is suggestive that the ring acts as a form of protection to the blood vessel thus the heart itself. This can be likened to the concept of chivalry and the man protecting the woman.





Although I am going to research a plethora of different concepts to do with the human hand this is currently the idea I feel is strongest.

No comments:

Post a Comment