Wednesday 5 February 2014

Considering Task 2 - Making it less obscure

04/02/2014


Blog entry 28:

To begin to get a handle on Task 2 for Personal Practice and Methodologies, I have created lists to get my thoughts in order.

Who am I? What kind of artist am I? What do I like?:
  • Religious paintings - Renaissance painters - Rococo (Catholic and christian main point of interest)
  • Devine depictions and characters:
- Seraphim
- Cherub
- Cherubim
- Angel
- Puti
- Heaven and Hell (Damnation)


  • Androgyny - The Full Human (Adam before Eve was created from his rib)
  • Religious based poetry or writing
- Nathan's (my Partner) poetry (often fictitious work based on the bible or biblical reference)
- Dialogues of Love by Leone Erbero
- A Paradise Lost by John Milton


  • Painting - Ornate painting - exhibited in a gallery
  • Characterisation
  • Figure drawing and Life drawing
  • Adult audience
  • In books or fiction publications
  • physical book illustration rather than online (though I do not mind)
  • Expressive mark making and paint marks (Antony Micallef)


What Could I do? What can I use from what I am interested in to build my project with regards to The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges:
  • Nathan's poem on the tree of life and the cherubim - linking to the research I have done on the " "fruits as lights" (Borges, 1944) and the Garden of Eden
  • Androgynous characters in the Library (Dialogues of Love Leone Erebro) - linking my idea of the library depicting Heaven or the divine 
  • A depiction of the Garden of Eden as the crimson hexagon
  • Larger Paintings as exhibit pieces and scans or similar images (as a theme or group) in books with Borges' story or poetry
  • Make my target audience adult
  • Develop my painting style using the influence of both Renessiance/ older paintings and more contemporary expressive artists (such a Antony Micallef)
  • Use the figure and characterisation in my work

Now that I have made these lists, I need to persist with forming a basic plan of how to move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment