Wednesday 5 February 2014

Obscure ideas for an obscure subject will this act as a double negative?

05/02/2014


Blog Entry 29:

Personally, I have never struggled to comprehend how to move a brief forward, possibly due to the constrictive nature of the briefs I have been given or due to the constrictions I put onto myself and my practice: as I am studying for my Master of Design, I feel that is important to break out of the constriction and to be out of my comfort zone. The problem I am experiencing, is that I am so far out of my comfort zone I cannot find a way to function well as a practitioner, this does not mean that I will give up, it simply means that I need to solve the complex problem which is task 2.

Due to my feeling lost, I asked for advice from Tim Shore, who aided me to consider strengths and weaknesses and move forward in such a way which adheres to my personal ideology as a practitioner but challenge what I am already doing.

Advice and consideration from Tim:


  • How to depict the divine/ indescribable/ unknown/ unfathomable/ impossible
  • How to depict or describe the presence of something in the story such as text 
  • Create work in the first person (what if you did not see the pen because you are the pen?) directly utilise the viewer (most of my work so far has been created illustratively in the third person)
Tim also gave me the advice to look at religious art I like as a whole and then cut out or alienate areas of those images which I feel depicts areas of the divine of divine experience. He suggested looking at Dulwich Picture Gallery in London, so I shall move forward by making these considerations.

No comments:

Post a Comment