Friday 7 February 2014

Pushing on with obscurity: A Poetic Potential Basis

08/02/2014

Blog entry 36:

Although I run the risk of jumping the gun a little, but I want to consider what I might choose to use as a basis for a more structured project, from the ideas I have developed from Task 1. Due to my lack of surity as to what Task 2 should fully involve, I do not intend to procrastinate for any huge length of time so I am going to consider a potential poetical basis on which to take on of my ideas further.

As I have considered in blog entry 26, I had the idea of the lighting in The Library of Babel being fruits from the trees of the Tree of Life and the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in The Garden of Eden. My Partner writes poetry, which I am keen to illustrate as aforementioned in blog entry 19, and he has in fact done a poetical story based on the cherubim who guard the tree of life. Although currently this might not be used, it is definitely an idea to consider. This could possibly also be a summer project.

A Section of The Poem: (All copyright is retained by Nathan Shepherd who has given me permission to share this poem)

"Called as a guardian, as a cherubim engrossed with celestial light
As I did falter during my patrol, my brother to the right
I did see him scorning an asp casting away a beast unknown to mine eye
 ‘Benevolent servants of the lord with good tidings do I trespass’ the battered serpent did cry

‘Dear cherubim, strike me not again, I am the second born of our father on high’
 ‘Then why art thou in the form of one of the seven heads lobbed off the dragon Ligh
The same beast your were not present to help the arch angel slay,
Pondereth I if you were not the heart of the dragon Michael did defeat that day’

The snake did protest ‘Twas not I, favor Samuel angel of death a traitor
His constant quarrels with Sandalphon, destroy mans bond with God is he not a God hater’
I descend upon you in love with for you I hold in my bosom that you might live
Like unto that life which our father granted his favorites whom this honor he did give
Whilst he did appoint you both this damned honor to guard over his beloved vessels for life and truth
And deny ye the splendor of a body of flesh and blood that a bite from the fruit of this tree shall produce’

‘Wretched vermin! Beguiled am I not by your Mephistophelian of empty lies’
A hearty swing of my brothers wing violently knocked Lucifer away yonder in muffled cries
Then did my brother turn to me and implore ‘be not beguiled by his evil tongue’
 My brother stubborn is his faith, alas we are limited, could the serpent not be wrong

I did take a rove along the mountain of patience to clear my mind and cool my head
Did a light appear above my head and hand rest upon my shoulder and a soft voice did said
‘My beloved son, think no harsh feelings of thy brother and his strongness of head,
Eat from the tree of life my son, live, breath, eat, drink and return to me when you are dead.
(clarify who this is either in this or later poems)

I rambled back to my post, my very aura filled with glee
I flew up to the hallowed branches and did pick some fruit off the tree
A still small voice begged me to desist as I open my mouth wide
And did bite the holy fruit, which was seedless and gold on the inside

Hours past without change, while I sat upon a root
My wings and halo still remain had I eaten the wrong fruit
My eyes glance upon the second tree with all its branches lit
I plucked from the branch the second fruit and hastily I bit

Darkness surged within me, terror gripped my very soul
I’ve been decepted, swindled, beneath me appeared a hole
I attempted to fly alas my wings were there no more
And through the terrible portal my limp body did fall"
(Shepherd, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment