Friday 28 February 2014

Obscure Oil Painting III & IV

28/02/2014

Blog entry 56:

Due to my new found love with oil paint I decided to create another in black and white, visualising the idea of the fontanel, outlined in blog entry 53, which was inspired by The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I have depicted the fontanel as a hexagonal shape to link this idea with the idea of the divine hexagonal shape in The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges, on which my projects is loosely based.

Before creating this painting, I looked at images such as this for inspiration:


Unknown title by unknown artist (N.d.)


























I found this image inspirational due to my black and white paintings often being quite dark, I have difficulty making tone seem like different shades of white rather than darker mid tones. The one dark area of the image (which at an educated guess I would personally say it is a digital painting) creates a focal point, which is interestingly only one eye, which is of course a prominent or obvious facial feature but it is not central. Making one eye dark means that the image not only has a sense of dark and light on an extreme level, but makes it a-symmetric - I am very fond of obvious a-symmetry and find it visually interesting, so I would like to try it in my work.


Black and white acrylic painting practice:

Tonal Acrylic and Biro (Ball Point Pen) on thick backing card board

Tonal Acrylic and Biro (Ball Point Pen) on thick backing card board
















































This is my first attempt at a full black and white painting in acrylic since the start of this semester, before working in oils I wanted to establish how to quickly put down tonal paint successfully. I have chosen to make the light source above the charter to suggest a force or divine entity from above.


Oil painting III (Black and white):






























































Oil painting IV:





















































With the two oil paintings, I have trie to look at form and tie areas of my idea generation together, but at the moment I do not feel that it is working as well as it possibly could, so I intend to keep working at the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment