Wednesday 12 February 2014

Taking obscure samples and working them up

12/02/2014

Blog entry 43:

As aforementioned in blog entry 37, I have started a separate book, purely for samples and rough experiments, this book is intended to aid me to push my practice by allowing me to understand the materials I am using better and to choose which I should use to create more refined experimentation in my main sketchbook.

I have taken what I have learnt from two initial samples, which inspired me to work with the materials further: Sample 17 and 18, are samples in my sample book which have allowed me to understand the properties (along with others) of acrylic paint on plastic. When creating the samples and listing their properties and possible uses, I found that the paint was quite easily scratched away from the surface once dry, so I decided I would take this experimentation further by making bigger samples using the idea in my main sketchbook of the geometric with the organic to link my practice experiments and my theme/ idea.

Step by step of experiment 1(scratching into plastic) inspired by sample 18:

Place the plastic used in sample 18 over an image



Use a biro or ball point pen to trace around the basic
contour of the image



Indentation of the contour left on the plastic



Paint within the indented template 



Painted piece 

























final outcome - paint scratched into with a medium sized needle


























Unfortunately I found that scratching into the plastic was not as simple as I had imagined. Due to the acrylic paint having a plastic base, when I tried to scratch into the dried plastic I found that the paint stretched and tore rather than coming away easily, meaning that the outcome was not as pristine as I had hoped for and the shapes that I made were not obvious hexagons as I had intended.


Experiment 2 (scratching into plastic) inspired by sample 17:

drawing around an image in biro onto plastic 
























outcome created using same process as experiment inspired by sample 18
























When carrying out a similar experiment with the plastic used in sample 17, I have found that when using biro to trace the outline, unlike the plastic in the above experiment, the ink penetrated this plastic and made pen marks (shown above). From two samples, I have now managed to carry out two more refined experiments and develop my knowledge of the materials I am using. Unfortunately again this experiment was not successful.


From these larger, more refined experiments sourced originally from my samples, I was able to learn more about the properties of each plastic, which will not allow me to use what I have learnt here to create further experiments, similarly to the domino affect; however when doing this I need to remember to stick to my theme, decided during task 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment