Wednesday 5 February 2014

Influences and Inspitation VI: Quayola

05/02/2014


Blog entry 30:

When chatting to Stuart Poynton (animation tutor) about my concerns with the brief and explaining what I might want to do, he gave me the name of an animator/ fine artist he thought might be useful to my practice from looking at The Judgement of the Library image I had done (blog entry 25). The practitioner's name was Quayola.

Link to Quayola's website:
http://www.quayola.com/strata4/
(Quayola, 2004 - 2014)


Sculpture and digital sculpture for animation MU Gallery Eindhoven:

Captives 1 by Quayola Sculptures based on and used in animation Captives in exhibit MU Gallery Eindhoven
205cm x 140cm x 68cm 
Captives 3 by Quayola digital sculptures

Captives 4 by Quayola digital sculptures










































































As is apparent from blog entries 19 and 20, I am very interested in divine esque statues as influence, I think the way that the organic is combined with the geometric is beautifully done. This makes me consider the forms I have been creating and the separate geometric forms I have also created and how I might combine them visually. The fact that Quayola creates his work for more than one purpose (exhibit and animation) is very endearing for me due to my intention to both exhibit and illustrate with my imagery.


Troyka - Moscow:

Strata 3 by Quayola Troyka Moscow exhibit

Strata 1_001 by Quayola Troyka Moscow exhibit



























































This exhibit combines the organic form with the geometric by taking a different approach, through the use of line or string. I am particularly fond of this collection due to Quayola's making an older painting into a contemporary piece of work. Not only can work be made eye catching or contemporary by taking it out of context, but adding or taking away from older styled work can also have a similar effect, reinvention is a prospect which inspires me to try reinventing work I have already done to give it a more contemporary feel.

Rubens Print Series:

Rubens print series 1 by Quayola (2012)




























This print series is interesting, as it contrasts with the above images from the Moscow exhibit, by instead of adding to the image it is essentially stripping it away to the bare bones in order to find those geometric shapes.


Screen Shots taken from the animation Strata (hashtag) 4:

Screen shot of Strata4 by Quayola (2011) Audiovisual installation 

Screen shot of Strata4 by Quayola (2011) Audiovisual installation 

Screen shot of Strata4 by Quayola (2011) Audiovisual installation 

Screen shot of Strata4 by Quayola (2011) Audiovisual installation 




















These Strata4 images are stills taken from the Strata4 animation (which I highly recommend watching by following the link to Quayola's website). Out of all the work I have come across recently this is high up on my recommendations list, the combination of not only the geometric with the organic but also of a still painting with moving image is ingenious! The 3D tessellation of planes moves across the image bit by bit, converting the ornate painted style into geometric 3D through the use of line and colour.

The work of Quayola has genuinely amazed and awed me and I am now inspired to create more work, even though I am still unsure as to the direction. I feel that experimentation with my newly found inspiration may lead me to some exciting discoveries.

Intertexuality, what this discovery has lead me to consider and further inspiration:

Gotye music video Somebody I Used to Know similar themes:

When showing Grace (Ma) the Strata4 video, she suggested I look at the Somebody I Used to Know music video by Gotye which uses a similar geometric with the organic theme, in a more simplified way.

Screen shots taken from the afforementioned music video:


Screen shot of Gyote Music Video Somebody the I Used to Know by unnown Practitioner (2011)

Screen shot of Gyote Music Video Somebody the I Used to Know by unnown Practitioner (2011)

Screen shot of Gyote Music Video Somebody the I Used to Know by unnown Practitioner (2011)









































Using actual people as part of a canvas is something I am familiar with, but it reiterates my point that the use of geometric forms on a organic form is popular but has a wide scope. What I found most interesting about this video, is that the artist (who is unfortunately impossible to track down) has used these geometric forms to merge 3D lines to look more 2D such as the figures against the canvas, where the bodies would usually clearly stand out against the flat surface of the background and cast shadow, in places they appear to be almost completely merged.

Quayola makes 2D shift to 3D and back again and the artist here had made a 3D shape appear 2D. This shift from one to the other might be something I experiment with myself.


Drawing in Planes or Planar Surfaces:

When considering the use of Geometric with organic, I can't help but consider the idea of drawing in plains or planar surfaces.

For more information on drawing in planed follow the link below:
http://23gallery.com/planes-facial/
(Drawing Techniques and Process, 2012)

Another interesting link to look at for drawing in planes:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/517069600939287081/
(unknown practitioner, 2010)

Exercise Example taken from above blog by unknown practitioner (2010)




















The idea behind drawing in planes is to break down an organic form, in most cases the human figure, into separate geometric shapes in order to understand the dimensions of the figure. In the example above the artist has broken down the facial features and head into separate 'planes' each plain or geometric shape us created to portray a different angle to an organic form, the example above is rather simple, but this can be taken further by adding more plains to suggest each tiny change in angle. The use of planar surfaces is often used as a device in life drawing classes, such as the one I helped run last year, the technique allows the student or artist to create a basic template for the form, which is often added to later to make it look more organic.

Although drawing in plains originally was intended to be used as a way of forming a template, the artists I have researched in this blog entry have clearly transcended this idea and taken it out of original context, creating something which is visually interesting.

I would like to add that this approach in a way is rather cubist, which I may look at in more detail later on if I view it as relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment