Thursday 6 February 2014

Obscure Androgyny and Ideology: Cherubs with Vaginas

06/02/2014

Blog Entry 33:

How does noe depict full androgyny? Good question. In this blog entry I will be researching visual methods using my own work to attempt to depict a fully androgynous form, or the full human (see blog entry 5).

The obvious: The Ideology of the Body Gender and Genitals:

Androgyny experiment 1 woman's body with man's genitals

























Androgyny experiment 2 man's body with woman's genitals


























I have created the two above experiments by adhering to the modern day western ideological gender bodies, but I have changed the genitalia over. I have added to this stereotypical representation by using colour mixing paint the female form with the penis with red and pink tones associated with feminine and I have done the same with the male form with the vagina by adding blue and green paint tones.

I have made a point of obviously showing the vagina, due to my findings with many artists being happy to depict the fallous in all its glory but rarely or never the female genitalia, this may be something I want to say with my work, possibly as a feminist point of view.



Adam and Eve: Defined only by their Names:

Androgyny experiment 3 adam and eve defined by only the name


















This is a rough sketch of an idea, where I have combined my androgyny idea with the hexagonal connotations of The Library of Babel. I have replaced the idea of the fig leaves that cover genitalia in many works of religious art, with hexagons. I have used multimodality of text on the hexagons to name the forms, the ideological male form has been named Eve and the female Adam. Taking the name out of context changes the connotations of what the visual with the lack of multimodality might suggest.


Cherubs with assorted genitals: (Personal work)

Cherub with vagina in biro
























Cherub with Penis in biro























Valentines Day Card Design with obvious differences between the male and female cherub 



























Birthday Present for a friend cherub with genitals covered























Birthday Present for a fried cherub design most common with penis
























I have added a number of my personal work which has been shaped by my interest in androgyny and showing cherubs with both genders (blog entry 25.

I have done a number of card designs, which I have been considering doing along with other things, so this has been good experience for me, as Valentines Day is coming up I have been inspired to create images which could be used on Valentines day cards.

The typography I have used here is somewhat of a trademark when I create work with accompanying text, this is also the same type used in my illustration logo.


The School of Plato by Jean Delville 1898. Musee d'Orsay, Paris



















The above is an image I considered in my extended essay as an androgynous Religious piece of work. I am very fond of this image, and when considering androgyny as a divine depiction this is very fitting due to the disciples being so feminine, but the image having very obvious religious connotations. I may consider this further in blog entries to come if it appears relevant.

For more information on this particular piece of work please follow the link below:
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/art/delville.html
(Howe, N.d.)

(Please note all material I have linked, I have read and considered)


No comments:

Post a Comment