Tuesday 11 February 2014

Geometric Faces on an Obscure Organic Face IV: Geometric and the divine

12/02/2014

Blog entry 42:

Moving back to the use of digital media, I have taken a divine cherub drawing from blog entry 33, which was originally drawn in biro, which is essentially a way of building up tone using outline. I then thought about how the hexagons I had used in earlier digital experiments were purely outline and decided that I could combine my biro drawing with these geometric outlines. I gradually built up tone in a similar way to how I would working with biro, by adding more hexagons to make the area darker and less to to create mid tones, and none at all to create areas of light - following what I had done with my biro lines. I have also used the hexagon shapes to frame areas of the composition. I feel that this experiment has worked rather well, and feel this is my favourite experiment so far.


My experiment and screen shot close ups of areas I feel are apt:





























The stomach area where smaller closer hexagons are used to build up darker tone, and gradually getting bigger and further apart until non-existent to create lighter tone. 

An area of the mouth is is framed by a hexagon - this could suggest the divine words this character might utter are too 'perfect' to be organic? 

In places I have also broken away from the original outline to crate a feeling of breaking the confinements of a shape, contrastingly associated with the organic rather than the geometric. However, I have kept all hexagon shapes within the confinements of the largest hexagon which frames only part of the character.


The Last Judgement image (blog entry 25) with a hexagonal re-vamp:




























Above I have used an image I have already done and gone over a selection of the outlines with hexagons. I have used a thicker outline for the hexagons themselves to contradict the complete linear control I had with my pencil, when originally drawing the organic forms in the image: I did this to take myself out of my comfort zone once more to push my practice as a self admitted control freak. I prefer these experiments a lot less than the one above, but I have most definitely learnt from both.

No comments:

Post a Comment