Friday 7 February 2014

Influences and Inspiration VII: Penguin Classics and Illustration

08/02/2014

Blog Entry 35:

I was in the Waterstones at Keddleston Road Campus yesterday (07/02/2014) and I came across a set of Penguin published classic short stories and novels, and found some of the cover illustrations captivating. I have seen a range of the Penguin Classics before when researching for past projects, but this got me considering my roots with not only fine art but illustration. As I am aware the purpose of the Master of Design course is to allow students to bridge areas and move away from the constrictions of their past subjects, in my case illustration, but I feel that it is also important to look at visuals which are still relevant to my practice even though they are constrictive to illustration.  

A selection of poems by Pierre De Ronsard illustrated by Henri Matisse

The Erotic Poems by Ovid (illustrator/ artist unknown)

















































Many of the Penguin Classics are using old - style or older work as illustration, which for me is a huge inspiration when considering how to combine fine art and illustration, these works exist for the purpose of being exhibited or installation pieces, and have now been used for illustration, this is a prime example of how I can get my work to fit in both categories.

There is also a competition held by Penguin, I am interested in, which was first introduced as a potential project (out of a number to choose from) for Negotiated Study in Illustration on my Ba(hons), there is both an adult and children's illustration competition. If I was to enter one of these competitions, I would choose the adult publishing, due to this being my preferred target audience. I decided to do the Folio competition instead last semester due to my preferring the story on which those illustrations were to be based, however I may enter both competitions for next year.

For more information on the Penguin Adult publishing Illustration Competition please follow the below link:
http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/minisites/penguindesignaward/

To browse Penguin Classics please follow the link below:
http://www.penguinclassics.co.uk
(Penguin, 1961 - 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment