Wednesday 19 February 2014

Obscure Skin Tone and Culture

19/02/2014

Blog entry 46:

Due to the nature of this project being experimental, I realised that not only should I study new material and techniques, but ensure that I am still developing my original paint style at the same time. As a paint practice study I have focussed on skin colour and tone, by creating four paintings of a random age and gender of different skin tones: Black, white, indian and Chinese. While I relise that this is only a small portion of the huge range of skin tones, and everybody is practially a different colour, I only need to conduct a set of colour mixing experiments inspired by my samples of mixing paint in my sample book (sample NUM), so I have chosen four differen generalised skin tones.

This paint practice has also been an oppertunity to mix paint tones without the use of black paint, which is frowned on in fine art as it makes imagery dull. Having made this point, I have used black in the past with colour paint to get this effect and make the work stylised, but as I am exploring my practice as much as possible, I feel it only fitting to attempt skin tone paintings witout the use of black paint to prove I can and to allow me to understand how making darker tones without the use of black is done. This was an aspect that was also inspired by my paint mixing samples (sample NUMS) in my samples book.

Larger painting skin tone experiments:

Indian skin tone painting practice Acrylic on Acrylic paper

























Oriental skin tone painting practice Acrylic on Acrylic paper

























Black skin tone practice Acrylic on Acrylic paper
























White skin tone Acrylic on Acrylic paper

























When conducting these larger experiments, I realised that when considering my Library of Babel theme, I have mainly focussed on Christianity when considering the divine and religion, so in the next blog entry I shall consider other cultures and religions and their depictions of the divine.

At present, my experimentation and idea generation for mytheme are rather seperate entities, and at some point when I have establised both at a more developed level, they will collide and form a connection to push this project further, intended to be in time for the second concept panel of the semester, in which the first semester students will contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment